Liberty Derived From Our Maker–
Bought At The Expense of Their Ease,
Their Estates, Their Pleasure, And Their Blood

2009 September 7

While I was not a Radical Son as David Horowitz was, I went to high school and college with the radicals of the 60sand 70s. I know these people. I also became a Christian in college in the midst of this uproar and that chaotic period was my learning ground for debate and apologetics as I witnessed for my faith and gave my perspective in papers and in class discussion. At least at that time the liberals I had for professors would still give me good grades even though I disagreed with them. There was still a vestige of honesty among some liberals who allowed give and take and listened to other points of view. I had a radical feminist professor in education who said I was one of the few people in the class who was thinking. I did actually like her and enjoy talking with her–she did not go into the sewer of slander regarding opponents as the Left does today.

I think Horowitz was born for this hour. This is his moment to help save our Republic. In a small way I can do my part. I realized some years ago that the prayer I’ve prayed for myself the most over the years has been asking for wisdom and discernment. I began doing this when I was in college as I was flooded with the books and ideas coming at me and I have continued to pray this prayer for myself. I have no problem pointing out the travesty of the moral self-image of the Left as Horowitz suggested. I fully agree with him that that in their political radicalism they seek redemption. Many are spiritually empty and are seeking hope, but in their pride they want to do it on their terms and believe they themselves in their ideology can change the world. They refuse to look at history to see the wretched and horrible consequences of the thinking to which they adhere and they are in denial about what they do to others.  The lyrics of the song, Easy to Be Hard, from the sixties rock musical Hair, that was later sung by Three Dog Night, has always typified for me their moral obtuseness and failing.

They can’t get back at me in a similar way because as a Christian I know I have been redeemed and that it has not been through my own efforts. I know I am imperfect and flawed and that I don’t live up to my standards, let alone God’s standards. I know I am forgiven and fully accepted in Christ. That’s my protection against slander.

This is also why I think Sarah Palin has been so effective. She has the moral clarity and understanding to realize what they are doing and to speak directly to it. She has the fortitude and perseverance to endure. This again, is something Christians learn along the way. In the midst of the fire and flood of the circumstances of our lives God enables us to go on and teaches us His care. The slander against her and her family is surely painful, but when she stands against her accusers, she knows the integrity of her own heart, she knows she is forgiven and those fiery darts cannot deter her.

The Alinsky rule of making others live up to their own standard just falls apart and will not work when they try to attack Christians with it, because we can say we already know this, but we’re forgiven and we go on. Humility and honesty before God are the best inner defense against their attacks.  This they cannot comprehend.

I think Horowitz is right on (to use a 60s term!) when he said:

The only way to defeat the left — and I have failed in twenty years of arguing this to persuade conservatives — is to turn the table around and attack their moral self-image. Leftists are in fact the enemies and oppressors of women, children, gays, minorities and the poor, and conservatives should never confront them without reminding them of this fact.

They have no defense against this turning of the table because it is the truth. They are guilty. It has been fascinating to me that Horowitz, who is an agnostic, recognizes the spiritual dimension to what is taking place in our country. I firmly believe this is not only a political war–it is a moral and spiritual war. That is why, whether or not you think she is fit for national office, Sarah Palin upsets and angers the Left. He said this of Sarah Palin the other night:

That’s what she did. That’s why they hate her. Because she’s very effective….And it shows you–they react, they squeal, they yell and suddenly the issue is in front of everybody. And that’s what you want to do.

Others have their own place in the battle going on at this time, but David Horowitz and Sarah Palin echo my thinking, my heart and the place at which I fight.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace;”

Rush Limbaugh has a speech given by his father that he reads from time to time.  In it his dad traced the consequences to those men in 1776, who pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor.  Many lost family and land and livelihood.  We may not have a national audience to whom we can speak and our influence may be limited, but we must each, as we are able with the encouragement and help of one another, and, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, support liberty.

Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood.

__________

H/T:  Front Page Magazine; Wikipedia; Glenn Beck/FOX News; ushistory.org; The Declaration of Independence; Patriot Post, Founders Quote Data Base.

1. 2009 September 7 10:55 am
    INC permalink

I know some of you already saw the gist of this in the lengthy comment I left on today’s Rabble thread. I decided to take the comment and edit it slightly because it is a passionate reflection of my heart and thinking.

2. 2009 September 7 10:57 am
    MDefl permalink

It is absolutely, 100% true. We the people must turn the tables. I have learned that we CANNOT depend on the Republicans to fight this battle. It is OUR turn to set things straight.

3. 2009 September 7 11:01 am
    BCL permalink

Yep

4. 2009 September 7 11:09 am
    Sharp2edgedsword permalink

I am a Sarah Palin fan. One thing she brings to the table very few politicians can bring, she is the common man ( in this case a woman ) . No Ivy Leaugue education. No law degree. No inherited wealth and privilege.

What scares the left is that she is a woman, only not their type of woman. She is a Christian, pro-life, pro-gun control and pro-growth. Her critics have tried over and over to smear her and they won’t stop trying. The more the left tries to smear her, the bigger the eventual backlash will be.

Quitting as Governor was a smart move. She can either run in 2012 or 2016 or 2020. She can be very influential even if she decides not to run.

5. 2009 September 7 11:12 am

The only way to defeat the lefy is to attack them head-on, something conservatives and Republicans (nor necessarily the same thing) have been reluctant to do. In fact, posters at so-called “conservative” Websites like New Minority, The Next Left and Rightwing Nuthouse seem to have a real problem when that happens. Those sites are more interested in keeping the GOP pure from true conservatives than fighting liberals.

6. 2009 September 7 11:12 am
    rightwingyahoo permalink

Initially I did not approve of her leaving the Gov’s post. Now, looking back, she has already helped the nation far more with her leadership on the issues, than she would have had she stayed on as Gov.

A good, selfless move, which reflects well on her.

7. 2009 September 7 11:26 am
    INC permalink

If any of you are interested in reading my Christian apologetics, there are four posts here. The last is at the top. Scroll down to begin at the first one.

8. 2009 September 7 11:30 am
    MDefl permalink

RWY

In the end, Palin had no option. Since the blogger was allowed to file endless frivilous lawsuits, Palin and her family were going to go bankrupt. That shi**ead even filed a lawsuit stating that she could not have a PAC to help with expenses.

As already proven, she is more powerful as a regular citizen at this time.

9. 2009 September 7 11:31 am
    MDefl permalink

10. 2009 September 7 11:48 am
    Sharp2edgedsword permalink

INC, I read your Christian Apologetics post. I would be interested in providing 1 daily thread for a Christian web site. perhaps it could be : http://www.wordofgod.bejohngalt.com.

Rand, Mary, you in ?

11. 2009 September 7 11:51 am
    Sharp2edgedsword permalink

Eschatology could also be covered in the blog as 1/3 of scripture is prophecy.

12. 2009 September 7 11:52 am

Sharp2edgedsword, sounds good…JM, let’s chat about to make it work.

13. 2009 September 7 12:17 pm

That sounds great, Sharp. I do want to add extra pages (though they would be bejohngalt/ topic not topic.bejohngalt) but I have to wait until I have some extra cash to pay our designer. He has agreed to take payment as donations come in, which is very kind of him- so I don’t want to ask for too much more until I have given him some more money.

14. 2009 September 7 12:22 pm
    MDefl permalink

Everyone should hit the tip jar here. I did this morning. Even a few bucks would help I am sure.

15. 2009 September 7 12:27 pm

Thanks, MDefl, I really appreciate that (and I know Kenny will too).

16. 2009 September 7 12:32 pm
    MDefl permalink

Mary,

Just keep up the awesome work here. I have not yet seen a site that has so many good articles. RP comes very close but I have to give you guys the nod.

17. 2009 September 7 1:29 pm
    Sharp2edgedsword permalink

as long as the title of the blog is thewordofgod, eph would probably want to provide a thread now and then coming from The Torah. Eventually, he might become a Messianic Jew, and even if not, his perspective would enable us to have a better understanding of the Jewish faith. Eph did a couple of religious threads at HHR.

18. 2009 September 7 1:36 pm
    MDefl permalink

EPH is a solid guy and a fighter. How can we not love that?

19. 2009 September 7 2:09 pm

I would love to hit the tip jar, but can’t make paypal work for me, besides I’m boycotting them for boycotting patdollard.

20. 2009 September 7 2:24 pm
    MDefl permalink

I think you can do it without paypal. I can’t stand pay pal. They are larcenous fuc**ers.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. Liberty Derived From Our Maker–Bought At The Expense of Their Ease,Their Estates, Their Pleasure,And Their Blood - INC’s blog - RedState