Its Not Insurance, Its a Crap Shoot

2010 July 2
by drdog09

Your life might as well be on the Million Dollar Wheel in Las Vegas —

Critics of the $5 billion high-risk pool program insist it will run out of money before Jan. 1, 2014. That’s when the program sunsets and health plans can no longer discriminate against people with pre-existing conditions.

Administration officials insist they can make changes to the program to ensure it lasts until 2014, and that it may not have to turn away sick people. Officials said the administration could also consider reducing benefits under the program, or redistributing funds between state pools. But they acknowledged turning some people away was also a possibility.

“There’s a certain amount of money authorized in the statute, and we will do our best to make sure that that amount of money insures as many people as possible and does as much good as possible,” said Jay Angoff, director of the Office of Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). “I think it’s premature to say [what happens] when it’s gone.”

Source

I was going to lead this post with “Would you believe….”. But I realized everyone that reads BJG DOES already.

So here we go, the high risk pool that was defined to bridge the gap for many till the full extent of the law kicked in in 2014 may run out of money. Thing is the program does not even start till next year! Can I say it? I call BS on this.

It may run out sooner than they expect too. What if major corporations start dropping employees in 2011? Do a % of them hit the pool too? You betcha they do. The Govt will run out of money faster than they ever thought.

For more, go to Hot Air and Say Anything.

I’ll say it again, I call BS.

1. 2010 July 2 10:25 am

to paraphrase Queen Pelosi:
    “You’ll have to wait until it runs out of money to find out it’s out of money!”

but don’t worry, folks…you’re in the VERY best of hands! 🙂

2. 2010 July 2 10:38 am

For once I hope Hatch is right. He says there’s no way they can get a comprehensive immigration bill through Congress this year.

HT: Freedom’s Lighthouse

3. 2010 July 2 2:41 pm

O/T, Billy Bob Clinton today excused Robert Bryd’s KKK membership as “just something he did to get elected”.

Really? Bryd was in the KKK for years…and rose to a VERY high leadership position.

Byrd very famously refused to serve in WWII because [in HIS words in 1944]: “I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side. Rather, I should die a thousand times, see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.

then he conducted the longest filibuseter in U.S. history…against the CIVIL RIGHTS ACT of 1964!!!

And Bryd’s other racist statments and actions would fill several books!

Yet the Democrats AND the NAACP are praising his name today. PRAISING!!

4. 2010 July 2 3:14 pm

RWY, thanks for the kind words. I don’t expect a lot of comments on topics like this or the bond post earlier. But these are the real world triggers that could be our demise. The Deutschmark going to wall paper was the trigger that gave the german workers party its beginnings. From such small important things bigger troubles brew.

Besides, as someone once quipped — “Most of the news is of no consequence. The nightly reports are on-air because of their RARITY, as everyday occurrences never make the news. “

5. 2010 July 2 4:31 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Dr. Calling the Wiemark deutchmark wallpaper is giving it a whole lot more currency than it was worth.

6. 2010 July 2 4:35 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

RWY. Notice that Chicago has already thumbed it’s nose at the Supreme Court by passing a new set of restrictful gun laws, which will have to be overturned by SCOTUS, at which cause them to produce a new restrictful gun law, which will have to be overturned by SCOTUS, which will produced another restrictful law…… ad infinitum.

The liberal agenda never ends.

7. 2010 July 2 5:41 pm

8. 2010 July 2 5:49 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

RWY, The sad part of the liberal’s assault is that someday one of them may pass SCOTUS muster. It scares me to death that 4 of SCOTUS supported the ban.

9. 2010 July 2 5:52 pm

RP- It shouldn’t be surprising. There are four liberals, four conservatives and kennedy is the swing vote.

10. 2010 July 2 6:21 pm

rwy, the concept of “elections” in Chicago means we really don’t know WHO elected Daley. The Daleys are the absolute rulers of Chicago. And if King Richard wants an unarmed citizenry that is totally dependant on him for EVERYTHING, then that’s what King Richard gets!

11. 2010 July 2 6:30 pm

yup…in every sense, since he and his father have been screwing Chicago for years.

On a serious note along those lines. I truly believe Daley fears the populace rising up against HIM, and that is the reason for his incredible efforts to disarm the citizens of Chicago.

And your time IS coming, Dick!

12. 2010 July 2 6:49 pm
    janzam permalink

I am not a gun person, as far as owning one myself. The thought of shooting at someone is something hard for me to imagine. However, I do believe the right to own a gun, is something every responsible person should have.

Also, having a gun in the hands of a responsible populace is a deterrent to many societal maladies, such as crime and hostile take-overs by others. These days, “hostile take-overs,” would include by your own government. I feel, along with the erosion of so many aspects of American life, there is a creeping clamping down on gun ownership rights. Liberals, even when beaten back by the courts, show a tenacity of staying the course of their agenda, even if it is only held by a minority of the people.

This being said I increasingly see the day when there could be an open rebellion; a day when too much becomes just enough for law-abiding people to take things into their own hands and start reworking and bending the rebar of laws and restrictions back to a smaller, self-reliant government stance.

13. 2010 July 2 7:06 pm

JAN

If only~~but the more likely scenario due to the increasing dependency upon big brother, will be a simpering acceptance of whatever the slave masters dictate.

14. 2010 July 2 7:07 pm
    janzam permalink

I don’t disagree with anything you said rwy, about arming yourself. I am just not comfortable around guns. My dad owned a gun and I only saw him have it in his hand once. In our refuge up north we have a rifle, but it has never been used. Pathetic, I know….

Changing the subject for a moment. I saw this video on Power Line, and am very impressed with the military man who spoke out against the nomination of Kagen. What a guy!

A veteran puts Kagen to shame

Why don’t we have more politicians like this veteran in leadership positions???????????????????????????????????

15. 2010 July 2 7:10 pm
    janzam permalink

Yes, IP, there are lots and lots of people that would fall into the category of “simpering acceptance.” However,I tend to believe there are even more who would not. The mid-terms, in November, are going to be very telling, as to how withered the dem majority becomes, and which candidates the masses vote for — if they trend towards the teaparty movement or not.

16. 2010 July 2 7:14 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Jan. The rebellion may come sooner than you think. Best be safe.

IP could be right. The next 3 years will decide who we are as a country and as a people.

17. 2010 July 2 7:15 pm

Jan, I don’t relish the thought of EVER having to shoot someone. But by God I will not have my family harmed, and will not live a slave.

As Captain John Parker said at Lexington on April 19, 1775:
    Stand your ground; don’t fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here.

The true purpose of our 2nd Amendment is NOT home protection…though it’s a good side benefit. And it isn’t for hunting…though another side benefit. The true purpose of our 2nd Amendment is contained in this quote from Thomas Jefferson:
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

THAT is why Richard Daley and Barack Obama want us disarmed.

18. 2010 July 2 7:28 pm

Drdogggggggggg you just don’t understand. Obama will save the world, and the land will flow with healthcare and honey. Healthcare is free, right? — JM

The LightBringer has unfortunately run out of batteries for the torch as the Brits would say.

19. 2010 July 2 7:29 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

Now there are no veterans on the SCOTUS. There are also no Protestants.

20. 2010 July 2 7:43 pm

Jan,

My wife never held a gun in her hand till she was 48. Taught her how to shoot a .22 rifle first. By the second box of shells she could put holes in the 3″ ring. Went back the next weekend with the 9mm. By the end of the hour she was in the 3″ ring at 25yrds. Good enough for any varmit around the house. Now when I go to the range she’s popping off rounds too.

Learn how, its a skill.

21. 2010 July 2 7:54 pm

RWY,

read that interview. Some interesting points. Though I find his conclusion that private ownership won’t fare well counter intuitive. If the socialist – Keynesian policies bring on the crash, the only thing left is private ownership of assets as you are essentially back to barter/hard metals as exchange.

22. 2010 July 2 8:14 pm

my problem with pistol shooting these days is that I had Lasix surgery a few years ago (which I love…and don’t regret). But I had them do my eyes slightly differently, and my Left eye is best for close-up vision…but being left-handed that is the eye I focus on the sight on. I used to be able to look down the sight and get a good ‘picture’…but it’s my Right eye that is best for distance. i.e. I need to learn to use both eyes (I learned using one eye)

23. 2010 July 2 8:19 pm
    aureliusx permalink

am I the only one feeling less excited about July 4th this year?

Do I cheer the chains of tax slavery for my children that Americans voted for? … and STILL support to a tune of close to 50% based on Obama’s approval rating?

Do I cheer the fact that America no longer supports the fight for freedom and democracy arond the globe.. in fact we actively oppose it? (see Honduras, Poland, Britain, Israel, Iran, Russia)

Do I cheer the fact that the American government is fighting an American state for trying to defend its borders?

Do I cheer the fact the Constitution has no meaning now, and based on the health care debacle the federal goverment clearly can take anything, anytime from any citizen?

I grew up a patriot, loving my country… What is there to cheer now except memories of the past?

24. 2010 July 2 8:24 pm

Jan – you should go to the range and learn how to handle and shoot a gun.

My wife believes in the 2nd amendment BUT NEVER EVER wanted to learn anything about guns. She always said it was fir other people, NOT for her. She was raised in a military family with her father having over 30 years military experience.

In the last few months she has asked me several times to take her to the range. I just could not believe it. My brother and good friends asked if I was talking about my wife or someone else, they could not believe it either.

Finally, I did take her to the range. I had her fire my 22 and then later my 9 mm. She loved the 22 (Browning Buckmark) but was not crazy about the 9 mm. She wants to go again some time soon. She wants to become more familiar and proficient with the 22.

Jan – better to learn now vs later when it might be to late. That is why my wife wanted to learn now.

25. 2010 July 2 8:27 pm

aureliusx…nope, i think we’re all feeling that way!

26. 2010 July 2 8:45 pm

25 yards is farther than it sounds, when youre shooting with a pistol or revolver. — rwy

Yep. She has damn sight better eyes than me. That and she would rather fire and look rather than do 3 round groupings.

27. 2010 July 2 8:47 pm

I tend to have a short attention span, my first few shots are laser-ish, then my mind wanders and my accuracy starts to flag.

If they are close first round to the head, the other two to the body mass.

28. 2010 July 2 9:27 pm

aureliusx…I think we’re all feeling betrayed. We’re the folks who these things:
    – played by the rules
    – treated people fairly based on how they treated us
    – gave to charities
    – followed the law (minus the odd infraction 🙂 )
    – supported, directly and indirectly
    – paid our taxes (including Social Sercurity and Medicare)
    – voted…and believed our vote mattered
    – etc……….

and now we’re told WE are “potential terrorists”, “evil racists”, and worse. And the people who did virtually NONE of the things in the list above are being exatled!

the world has turned upside down…and so as the birthday of the country we have loved and supported comes around we fell betrayed. And we see fewer birthdays possible.

29. 2010 July 2 9:51 pm
    janzam permalink

gnganq, drdog, justrand, rwy, RP

I will take all your comments to heart.

Thanks.

30. 2010 July 3 5:32 am

aureliusx

The grand illusion of representative gubmint can now be laid to rest. The facade has fallen, and the ugly whore of statism is peeking through.