The Price of Freedom

2010 July 2
by justrand

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor. July 4, 1776

Thus ends the greatest document bar none in the history of mankind.  It is one page long…with room for signatures at the bottom.  It is brief, forthright, and absolutely clear in its purpose.

It was followed up by the 2nd greatest document in human history, the Constitution for the United States of America, in 1787. It is also a short document…in fact the United States Constitution is the shortest written constitution in the world.  Think about that a moment.  It is brief, forthright, and absolutely clear in its purpose.

These documents were not brief because there was a shortage of ink or parchment.  They were short because our Founders wanted no ambiguity.  When they wrote, for example, “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” it must have seemed to them that there was NO wiggle room there.  In fact no one even thought to LOOK for wiggle room until the 20th century.

Barack Obama once called the Constitution a document of “negative liberties”.  Actually, I agree with him.  The Constitution spends a great deal of time documenting the “liberties” the government can’t take with us!  “No” means “NO!” when it comes to:

• abridging the freedom of speech
  • infringing on the right to bears arms
  • unreasonable searches and seizures
  • etc…

And then, just in case someone got frisky in their interpretation of this VERY short document, they threw this in:

10th AmendmentThe powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

i.e. if we didn’t explicitly say the Federal government COULD do something, then they CAN’T…only the States or We The People can.

The current [bloated] Federal Government can’t even see the 10th Amendment in its rear-view mirror.

This week, for example, the Federal government began moving to sue to Arizona for daring to uphold the law…and trying to protect its citizens.  This week the Supreme Court NARROWLY (5-4) upheld the language of the incredibly complex 2nd Amendment (“the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”).  And this week the Senate conducted “hearings” on a Supreme Court nominee who can’t wait to take white-out and a red pen to the Constitution.

Our Founders built in the Amendment process into the Constitution…and they fully expected it be used.  But they didn’t expect white-out and red pens…and they certainly didn’t expect activist judges, and Presidents, to “discover” new Rights secretly encoded in the incredibly simple text.

One last thought on brevity and clarity.  In 1863 Abraham Lincoln delivered one of the greatest speeches in history, and it was two minutes long. In his Gettysburg Address he said: “Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.

We ARE engaged in a great civil war…albeit, so far, a “Cold” one being fought in the courts, in regulatory agencies like the EPA/FTC/FCC, and in the dead of night by an out of control Congress.  I pray this “Cold Civil War” doesn’t heat up, but see few chances to “secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity” unless it does. Those determined to re-write our history and our Constitution are VERY determined. We must be just as determined to remain free.

This weekend we honor the birthday of our nation. Amidst the barbeques, fireworks displays, and the odd parade or two, take a long look around and try to calculate the price of your Freedom…that way you won’t be shocked when the bill arrives.

1. 2010 July 2 8:23 am

Good one. Agree 110%.

2. 2010 July 2 8:24 am
    Havok permalink

I like that term, “Cold Civil War”.

3. 2010 July 2 8:31 am

Excellent. It is funny to me how just a few years ago, freedom never really brought me to tears until I saw it being stripped from us right before my eyes. Of course I appreciated it, of course I love our soldiers, and am thankful, but I wasn’t overly emotional save for the tear I shed seeing a moving video or visiting places like Arlington. Now I feel grieved in my heart for this country, and for the good people in it who are being led like sheep to the slaughter. The president does not love this country, so he has no problem destroying the very fabric of it. It is painful to me, and I can produce waterfalls of tears now just hearing the Star Spangled Banner. I know there are others out there who are becoming emotional in the same way- I was angry at first, and now I am just heartbroken. Mostly for my children. I could go on, but I think you get the picture. Come Jesus or November……

4. 2010 July 2 8:43 am

5. 2010 July 2 8:51 am

As Rush said yesterday, if Obama has his way it will become Dependence Day Weekend.

6. 2010 July 2 8:53 am

At one level my take is — you reap what ye sow. Specifically to the govt unions.

But if I put my contract law hat on I have to say — WTF??! If I come to work for someone @ $15/hr and they cut it to $8 a month later…. Well its see ya later alligator. And when someone loses their home because of this, the State going to intervene in their behalf? Noooo.

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth, even if it is ‘legal’.

7. 2010 July 2 8:58 am

Oh and jobless claims rose another 13000 over last weeks numbers.

8. 2010 July 2 9:01 am

Gov. Schwarzenkennedy has ZERO chance of making this stick anyway. But it was nice to see him try.

And it’s tough trying to make the lack of a STATE budget a big deal when Congress isn’t going to produce a budget…and no one seems to care since it is a (D) controlled Congress.

I truly think the next Iron Man movie should have him face off against someone with a (D) on their chest. Poor Iron Man…he wouldn’t stand a chance.

9. 2010 July 2 9:02 am

but..but..drdog, the more people receiving Unemployment checks, the more jobs are being created!! Queen Pelosi told me so.

10. 2010 July 2 9:09 am
    janzam permalink

JM

Post #3 was beautifully put! I am one of those who feel much the same as you do about emotionally grieving for all the losses being inflicted upon this country, over decades, but especially in the last few years under Obama.

Not only are mortgages, on so many homes, “upside down,” but the very ideals, which were the foundation of this country’s formation, are disintegrating beneath us.

Consequently, I shift from anger one day, and despair another.

Justrand was so right when he pointed out how brief and succinct the original documents creating our nation were. Now, we are burdened with legislation, covertly suffocating our rights, through thousands of pages of unread language changing our way of life.

Sad, so sad……

11. 2010 July 2 9:15 am

#9 I think that is hysterical btw. I hope she makes an appearance at some point today to justify her stance.

12. 2010 July 2 9:16 am

exactly, janzam. Contrasting the world’s shortest Constitution with a 3000 page monstrosity called ‘ObamaCare’ sure tells it all!

and whereas the ObamaCare Bill has language like this:
    Subject to subclause (II), in the case of taxable years beginning in any calendar year after 2014, the initial and final applicable percentages under clause (i) (as in effect for the preceding calendar year after application of this clause) shall be adjusted to reflect the excess of the rate of premium growth for the preceding calendar year over the rate of income growth for the preceding calendar year. [ that’s one of the clearer sections!

the Constitution has language like this:
    right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

13. 2010 July 2 9:19 am

Those two really go hand in hand, because there is a significant amount of personal security in one’s home, a roof over your head is always good, but the “American dream” of owning a home really has been a nightmare for some. The nightmare for this country is continuing to erode our confidence and “personal security” as well. It makes for people feeling scared and unsure of what to do or where to go. There is no other America, and for some there is no other home when their credit is destroyed.

14. 2010 July 2 9:20 am

Just, when I heard that on the radio I nearly had a accident on the freeway! But I would point out that the Governor’s move conveniently prevents those that receive cuts in pay from getting unemployment — they are still working for the State. Tricky that eh?

The tricky deal is two guys are doing road work on different sides of the street. The CA state employee is making $7+/hr. On the other side, is an illegal making $5/hr. Who has the higher take home?

I leave it in JM’s capable hands for the answer as she graphed that out so poetically about 6 months ago.

Justice indeed.

15. 2010 July 2 9:22 am

drdog, Michelle Malkin called Pelosi’s statement “a cry for help!” 🙂

16. 2010 July 2 9:23 am

What??!! She found out that Botox was not covered under Obamacare??? 🙂

17. 2010 July 2 9:25 am

Charlie Cook has an interesting piece at National Journal — http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmagazine/cr_20100630_6929.php?mrefid=email_cookreport

Seems like the Dims are headed for an ass whuppun no matter what the GOP does.

18. 2010 July 2 10:30 am
    TLS permalink

#3 yep, that describes me exactly. As JR’s excellent post points out, this is an Independence Day like no other in my life.

19. 2010 July 2 5:37 pm

#18 Last year we were marching in a parade with other tea partiers who had a float. It was great. Small town USA. Can’t remember the name of the town, but it was one of the few places folks scattered to when the Sacramento Tea Party got cancelled. That would have been awesome, but it was cool just the way it was.

20. 2010 July 2 5:51 pm
    RepublicanPundit permalink

JMary, your # 3. Amen

21. 2010 July 2 6:17 pm

JM, it was Grass Valley, my dear…and I was so proud to have you and my grandkids “marching” in that parade (as a former Marine I can hardly call what we did “marching”). The route was probably close to a mile…and there were hundreds of Tea Party folks there!! It was great!

22. 2010 July 2 11:16 pm
    HalJordan permalink

In what certainly seems like four score and seven years ago, American voters, deceived by a man of a true nature most foul and his media propaganda ministers, brought forth, upon this Nation, a profoundly warped man, conceived who knows where for certain, who is dedicated to the proposition that all men are created weak and subservient to his every insane will and whim.

Now we are engaged in a great battle, testing whether this nation, or any nation so burdened, and so assaulted, can long endure. We are met here on a great internet battlefield, with compatriots in the Tea Party Freedom Movement rallies, compatriots on the radio waves and Spartan Warriors in the Great State of Arizona, of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of our lives in honor of our forefathers who dedicated their lives that this nation might live vigorous and free.
    It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

It is for us, the living, to be dedicated to the restoration of freedom, liberty, rule of law, progress and sanity which our Founders so nobly brought about. It is for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us – that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they so long ago gave the full measure of devotion – that we here highly resolve that our Founding Fathers shall not have labored in vain; that this nation shall have a rebirth of freedom and responsibility; and that this government will once again be of the people, by the people, for the people, and that we will not allow abominations like Barack Hussein Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and their gang of quislings to cause it, and it’s shinning light, to perish from the Earth.

23. 2010 July 3 9:44 am