Upcoming Pithy Poetry Night, and A Special Prize

2013 February 28
by JustMary

Last night, my husband and I went to see Aaron Lewis (lead singer of Staind) in concert out in Agoura Hills. His older music, if you are familiar with Staind, is a lot darker than what he is touring with right now. His new album, The Road, is all country, and it is phenomenal. I never would have guessed before this new album came out that Lewis was a patriot, but he didn’t just let that shine through his music last night- he came straight out with it. Before singing “Grandaddy’s Gun”, he spoke out about our 2nd Amendment rights being trampled on, and what was at first met with a ‘did he just say that?’ hush, became loud applause…that is…except…for where I was sitting. At the end of his speech, and the end of the song, many folks sitting around my husband and I completely withheld their applause, and the couple next to us was visibly agitated.

Seeing this as kind of par for the course, based on the location of the venue, I let it go. The rest of the concert was filled with amazing music, both written by Aaron Lewis, and written by others. Dude can sing anything and make it magic. There was also an incredible rendition of “Rooster”, for any fellow Alice in Chains fans out there (embedded video not from last night, but that’s Aaron).

Anyhow, If you’re wondering why I am telling you all of this, I’m getting to it…

Before one of his final songs, Aaron removed his hat, put it over his heart, and began to say the Pledge. Myself, my husband, and countless others shot to our feet, and began to say the Pledge along with him. What an amazing moment, and something I was absolutely NOT expecting. Here’s something else I didn’t expect. All those same folks who huffed through his speech, and the following songs- not applauding after any of them- sat on their butts during the pledge. Tis their rights as Americans to be jackasses, just as it was Aaron’s to do what he did. I was furious. They lit up the room for a brief moment, and I could get a full view of how many were standing or sitting, and I was disappointed in them.

All of this has inspired me to bring on another Pithy Poetry night, in those liberal jerks’ dis-honor. The theme will be “Liberals”. Enjoy. The prize for the winner will be a copy of Aaron Lewis’ The Road, or, if you’d prefer digital tunes, I will send you a gift card so you can purchase this amazing album for yourself (on your honor 🙂 ). In the comment section below, please choose if you would rather have our night on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, the weekend of March 8th. Majority rules. I will also be opening up registration to see if there are any other poet patriots that would like to join us. In the mean time, enjoy the song that inspired this post:

1. 2013 February 28 2:44 pm

I’d prefer Saturday night. 🙂

Oh, and for the mods, the site issues are being worked on. Thank you for your patience!

2. 2013 February 28 3:43 pm

3. 2013 February 28 4:01 pm

Kongratulations Kalifornians! I understand you will be paying 70 centx in gas taxes per gallon. Well done!

4. 2013 February 28 4:26 pm

#3 Link?

5. 2013 February 28 4:57 pm

JM –

Just heard it on ABC Radio News while waiting for Mark Levin. I will try to find a link. They discussed how the large number of hybrids and other fuel efficient vehicles have reduced gas consumption and gas tax revenue. Also said the average price of a gallon of regular in the Peoples’ Republik is $4.21.

6. 2013 February 28 5:01 pm

7. 2013 February 28 5:28 pm

ip #6 is today’s news (the tax increase passed).

Okay Kalifornicators: Give me a T; give me an A; give me an X; give me an E; give me an S! What does it spell? TAXES … TAXES … TAXES!!!

8. 2013 February 28 5:34 pm

Kalifornians get to use those long, futuristic gas nozzels. That along has to be worth 50 – 70 cents a gallon.

9. 2013 February 28 5:36 pm

The state Board of Equalization voted 3-2 on Thursday to increase the excise tax about 10 percent, from 36 cents per gallon to 39.5 cents per gallon.
    Coming July 1.

Insane.

“state board of equalization” – boy now doesn’t that have a nice ring too it? 🙄

10. 2013 February 28 5:43 pm

Public Service Announcement:

“One reason so many American women are overweight may be that we are vacuuming and doing laundry less often, according to a new study that, while scrupulously even-handed, is likely to stir controversy and emotions.”
    🙂 🙂

11. 2013 February 28 5:48 pm

KH –

““state board of equalization” – boy now doesn’t that have a nice ring too it?”

Today in the Peoples Republik … soon coming to a neighborhood near you.

12. 2013 February 28 5:54 pm

2 – Clearly in her 20 years in congress she’s never glanced at a BLS oops I meant Ministry of Information report. 😉

13. 2013 February 28 6:22 pm

I have a feeling the renters of these say “let’s go to your place” often. 🙂

14. 2013 March 2 6:07 am

JM, Friday or Saturday is fine by me.