Every Day Low Prices!

2013 March 13
by drdog09

Marjory had always prided herself on being a frugal shopper, even these days that her husband is now plant manager down at the UAV assembly plant. But this time it just did not add up. She looked at the small sack of groceries and it just did not add up. Or well it did $72.18, worth —

6 apples @ 3.45 per

$20.70

1 pineapple

$17.15

12 eggs

$ 8.45

1 5# sugar

$22.12

1 stick of butter

$ 3.46

But even though Jack was earning $45/hr at the plant it just did not seem to go as far as it used to. Marjory thought for a moment, President Biden had said that nationalizing the food stores since 63% of the country was on food stamps sounded about right. Those evil Target and WalMart stores didn’t need the profit anyway did they? But ever since then the stores keep getting shabbier and shabbier. Worse many times the shelves are bare. But we were promised the prices would drop lower with the nationalization. When we were married sugar was only $8/lb. Now look at it. Oh well, Jack will be home soon so better get dinner started.

Bam! The door slamming. Marjory looked at the clock. Like clockwork, 5:40 Jack is home. Scruffles at the door. “Make sure to take your boots off!. I don’t want that hydraulic fluid all over the house!”, Marjory screamed. Jack shrugs, “What does she think all the commotion is about?” Jack kisses Marjory on the cheek entering the kitchen at the same time he reaches for the refrigerator door…

“Jack there is no beer. The check out machine would not let me buy it. You know your diet”, Marjory intoned. Jack was sullen. It was a dry, cow patty kicking kind of day down at the plant. “An before you think of sitting down, go over and weigh in on the scale.”

Along with the nationalization of the food stores the government had instituted biometric norms for the entire country. Your BMI was to be recorded weekly. You could either weigh in at a local pharmacy using your EBT card or use one of the approved at home units. Both were connected to the Internet. Your profile and those of your other family members were updated both at the CDC and on your EBT card. Based on your profile and those of your family members the automated check out machines would control what was rung up on your EBT purchases. It was all done on a rolling monthly window. Needless to say Jack was an outlier on the BMI index.

None to pleased for his lack of beer, Jack saddles into his chair in the kitchen,

“What’s for dinner?”
“A salad if you must know”
“Must we?”
“Yes we must. I spent $72 today and it all cost more than last week.”
“$72! What did you buy?”

Marjory rattled off the small number of purchases and their prices, slip in hand. Jack merely shook his head.

“I just received a promotion and it sounds like I am in deeper now than when I was just the line foreman.”
“Jack you know I could….”, Marjory voice trailing off. Jacks face now in a scowl.
“We have had that conversation before. Even as an RN working at the clinic is too risky.”

Marjory knew Jack was right. Ever since ObamaCare took hold in 2014 the system was in near collapse within a year. Patients desperate for the maintenance drugs they needed were breaking into clinics trying to steal drugs. There had even been a report of a patient posing as a doctor over the phone to order medicine. Dialysis was equivalent to a death sentence; the government refusing to pay the charges. Yes it was a bit risky but the money was good.

“Marjory I will be down in the basement. Let me know when `dinner` is ready.” Leaving the kitchen Jack steadily descended the stairs. With each step a glow at the bottom of the stairs became brighter. At the landing, Jack turned and smiled. The room was a dim glow. almost a ruddy like complexion to the scene. Tubes, wires, pipes and lights were fashioned everywhere all capped with a sea of green, red and yellow. Shiny mylar lined the walls. Jack’s face reflected in it like something out of a carney hall of mirrors, all distorted but not grotesque. But there was order in the chaos. The squash, radishes, lettuce, and cabbage were potted in cups that were stuck in the pipes. The tubes were inserted at intervals into each pipe. A return line directed the water back to a tank. The led lights shined above with their reddish glow. The hum of an an aquarium pump droned in the background.

Jack smiled. No we don’t give the plants the whole spectrum of light only the reds and blues. They don’t need all that wavelength in the middle. It saves on the power bill so the smart meter does not alert the power company to excessive use of electricity. “Damn ration laws!”, Jack muttered. But then his smile returned looking at the cantaloupe vine trailing along the top of the frame and over the walls. “I will have one of you beauties tomorrow!”, patting the biggest one like a pig being trotted to the slaughter.

Gardening was now a regulated activity. You had to provide the size of your garden and its location. It had to be outdoors so that the drones could map it. The seeds were regulated too. Fact it was now a felony to possess non-government seed without a Monsanto permit. Not that Jack cared one whit. He belonged to a warez seed community. Everyone traded seeds. But had to be in person never through the mails. Jack patted the melon again. “No I won’t be jailed for seeds. It will be for the hydroponic garden. That’s five years minimum.” With that Jack bounded up the stairs.

“I have picked the melon I will have in the morning!”
“Good for you dear.” Marjory knew Jack loved melons. All the better, they weren’t on his diet.

“Salad is good Dear. But a little bacon….”
“Its been outlawed for over a year”, Marjory pointed her fork at Jack. “Besides the check out machine would not have allowed it anyway with your diet.” A wink in her eye.

Jack’s fork clinked into the empty bowl signalling he was done. “Well I am going to go for a walk. Care to join me? There is nothing on the vid tonite but another bill reading from the Speaker.”
“No I have to finish up here.” Before her sentence had drifted off Jack was out the door.

Marjory stood at the kitchen sink staring out into the dark evening. “What will we do if they ever close the food stores”, Marjory whispered. “It was like yesterday I used to work in a hospital……”

1. 2013 March 13 5:18 am
    MI Conservative permalink

drdog, GREAT POST!!!! BUT, Not funny. Seems like I’m already paying that.

Plus, I had to shovel more f……. global warming off my sidewalk and driveway this morning!

No pope yet. Cardinals probably trying to get some fricking illegal immigrant elected.

New book isn’t going well and I’m bored to death.

Hump Day and not a lady in sight.

I’m going back to bed.

2. 2013 March 13 5:45 am

I do the shopping in my family because I am better at finding bargains than my wife. In the past five years either: 1) prices have gone up or 2) the size of the package has gone down (a bag of potato chips is still $2.49, but it’s now 14 oz. instead of 16 oz.). Imagine what would happen if the government got involved. The same is true with health care.

3. 2013 March 13 5:56 am

BC,

If you wanted to totally control the population what better way to do it than control the food distribution? The government would now have control of the two of the three essentials of life — food, health. (shelter being the third.) If food stamp usage ever reached 60-70% ya don’t think the govt would not consider the little scenario above? I think they would, hubris being that they can do it better than private enterprise.

4. 2013 March 13 5:57 am

MIC, thanks. What’s the subject of your book?

5. 2013 March 13 6:00 am
    MI Conservative permalink

Great sales on corned beef which I love this week. Meijers even has regular or low sodium this week. $2.47 a lb. I’m freezing a bunch of them. I buy the smallest ones and bake them (I hate the boiled) every once and awhile. Corned Beef and Cabbage, Corn beef hash and of course, reubens. And try it in pea or bean soup.

6. 2013 March 13 6:02 am

bc3b: “Imagine what would happen if the government got involved”

the government IS involved. The published “Inflation Rate” is ludicrously low…yet gasoline and most food-stuffs have gone up dramatically! I went to the BLS site (a wholly owned subsidiary of the MoT) and my eyes glazed over trying to read their justification for their CPI.

If the two categories of things Americans purchase every week (food & fuel) have nearly doubled during the Age of Obama…why is the inflation rate nearly zero? Oh ya…the government is involved!

7. 2013 March 13 6:04 am

MIC, you’re making my mouth water!! Corned beef & cabbage is one of my favorite dinners…and I am crazy for Reubens!! “Waitress!!!!

8. 2013 March 13 6:05 am
    MI Conservative permalink

Doing Children’s book three with six hockey players for next year to use in county with schools. I agreed with the team management to do 3. Then I can move back to better things.

Check it out–However sight has not been updated recently and does not include the new children’s books with hockey players.

9. 2013 March 13 6:10 am

Time for a run Jason’s Deli for THE SANDWICH.

10. 2013 March 13 6:12 am
    MI Conservative permalink

#8 That is why it is so important to keep appealing Hispanics like Rubio and Cruz taking over the leadership of the GOP and get rid of the angry white seniors running the establishment. I know Rubio is a pain once and awhile but he’s better than most alternatives.

I wonder if there is a recipe for corned beef tacos or burritos. I hope so because it’s the wave of the future.

11. 2013 March 13 6:14 am
    MI Conservative permalink

And I thought you guys liked St. Patrick’s Day for Guinness and green beer!!!!
    Now, I find out it is the reubens. lol

12. 2013 March 13 6:21 am
    MI Conservative permalink

bc. I do the shopping too, and the cooking, and the eating, and the clean up. Heck, I even put the food away when I return home from the store.

13. 2013 March 13 6:23 am
    MI Conservative permalink

I’m sure if drdog is right the government will have regulations on shopping, cooking, eating, cleaning up, and storing foods.

WTF???? They already do have regulations on it!! Who we kidding. Can’t even drink your own milk if you live on a farm. Try to sell eggs. All the little fruit stands on the side of the road will be a target soon.

14. 2013 March 13 7:36 am

First the government propped up the troubled banks who thought they had eliminated risk. Now the government is going to bail out the troubled sugar processors for taking out risky govt backed loans — http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-13/obamas-next-sweet-bailout — Buy sugar, the price is going up.

15. 2013 March 13 7:54 am

drdog09 #8

The Dallas Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas did a study and projects that the Hispanic population will overtake Anglos in 2020 and will represent 70 percent by 2040.

WBF.

16. 2013 March 13 8:21 am

Speaking of money…here’s an unintentionally hilarious article from ABC:

look at the photo of the debt-clock…that ‘s the clock as it appeared in July of 2012. BUT…it was under $16 TRILLION then, so ABC used that photo to de-emphasize the debt.

Then Lord Obama says this:
    “I think what’s important to recognize is that we’ve already cut $2.5- $2.7 trillion out of the deficit. If the sequester stays in, you’ve got over $3.5 trillion of deficit reduction already.

By that accounting, we have already achieved nearly all the $4 trillion the Bowles-Simpson debt commission called for back in 2010 – mission (almost) accomplished.”

ZERO of that bullshit is even within shouting distance of reality! But Obamanistas will gobble it up with a spoon!

17. 2013 March 13 8:22 am

f r a u d~~~~Federal Reserve Accounting Unit Devices ~~~u.s. dollar

18. 2013 March 13 12:30 pm

Scarey vision Dr., but quite imaginable in near future.