27% of US Cable Users Plan to Drop It in 2021

2021 January 17

About 40 years ago, when moving from Dayton to Elkhart, the one positive is that our new house had cable. We lived south of Dayton and had a decent antenna. All that meant was that we could get NBC on Dayton’s channel 2 or Cincinnati’s channel 5. In Elkhart, I could get all the Cubs games and Braves games for free. CNN actually broadcast real news, hosted by Lynne Russell or Bernard Shaw. ESPN was new. It was hokey with lots of games, relatively few talk shows and avoided politics.

There weren’t that many channels on cable then – maybe about 20, but it wasn’t expensive. That all changed. Little cable companies got swallowed up by larger ones. Rates kept rising as cable companies kept adding channels with little minimal appeal. There are only about 2-3 free baseball games a week on ESPN and CNN morphed from a news channel to political propaganda. People are getting fed up and they have plenty of live streaming options so they are “cutting the cord” in increasing numbers – from around 15% last year to a projected 27% in 2021.

A new report has suggested that more than a quarter of US cable TV subscribers are planning to cut the cord by the end of 2021.

According to The Trade Desk, 27% of subscribers plan on ridding themselves of cable this year, up from 15% who cut the cord in 2020 and significantly higher than the approximate 3 percent annual decline reported by eMarketer prior to 2020.

Significant factors contributing to this trend include increased budget pressures, and a broader availability of streaming services which account for 68% of TV viewing versus 28% for traditional TV viewing.

Live sports, once a safe subscription driver for pay TV operators, is also much more flexible in terms of consumption, with 39% of US sports fans now watching events via CTV. Only 30% of the surveys respondents said that live sports was the reason they were maintaining a cable TV subscription, down from 60% nine months ago.

The affordability of streaming services is also a factor in consumer habits. Over 50% of consumers said that they would be unwilling to spend more than US$20 in total per month on streaming services, with viewers more than five times more likely to prefer free or low-cost streaming TV on AVOD services.

Tim Sims, chief revenue officer, The Trade Desk, said: “Covid has accelerated cord-cutting trends that were already underway, to a point where less than 50 percent of US households today have a cable subscription. It’s not because US consumers have fallen out of love with TV, but that there are now more convenient ways of consuming it. That even applies to traditional cable mainstays, such as live sports. As more broadcasters launch and expand their streaming services, these gaps are only going to widen.”

The report also looks into the effect that the shift to CTV consumption is having on ad buying, with linear TV buyers making fewer upfront commitments in 2021 and ad buyers increasingly focusing on CTV marketing.

See the source image
  1. 2021 January 17 4:15 am

2020 was truly a watershed year, not only because of COVID-19 and the election, but also because the leaders of many corporations and organizations (including the NHL and MLB) went totally woke.

2. 2021 January 17 4:24 am

It’s time for patriots to fight back, using their purchase patterns.

Regulars here know that I have been a big fan of Meijer stores.

That ended last week when Peter Meijer, a Meijer heir who ran as a pro-Trump conservative, not only voted for impeachment, but also became the darling of CNN and MSNBC.

I’m moving my grocery buying to Hollywood Markets and/or Busch’s.

Hopefully other patriots will stop patronizing companies like P&G, Kellogg’s and HP that crap all over them.

3. 2021 January 17 4:47 am

I was a huge NHL fan. Until this morning, I wasn’t even aware the season started last week, nor do I care.

4. 2021 January 17 6:43 am
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

I was listening to someone talk about some of the large satellite and cable packages. There was one channel that actually had more employees than hourly viewers.

However, they reiterated that the channel was very profitable because it was part of a bundle.

5. 2021 January 17 6:50 am
    JimNorCal permalink

Can’t boycott everything, there’s too many. I’ll be looking to join groups in targeting a few companies.
    We already don’t have Prime, don’t subscribe to cable etc.

I don’t know the formal definition but I think Irish Democracy is where people silently, and rather cheerfully stop obeying the law and stop cooperating with authorities.

We need lots more lawfare. Instead of donating to candidates consider donating to Judicial Watch, Pacific Legal Foundation, Center for American Liberty and others.

6. 2021 January 17 6:53 am
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

Honestly, if you just want content NFLX has endless content much of it excellent.

Whenever you run out of content you just ask some other people what they like and you end up hooked on something different.

7. 2021 January 17 6:56 am
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

8. 2021 January 17 7:15 am

PRP, the purges of Trump supporters and anyone else who dares to oppose the Leftist orthodoxy is indeed accelerating.

The media/Democrat/BigTech cabal has set up a Win-Win for themselves:
    IF people protest (however peacefully) the insane actions of the Left, then they will be labeled “Domestic Terrorists”.
    IF, because they don’t want to be labeled “Domestic Terrorists” people DON’T protest the insane actions of the Left, then the media/Democrat/BigTech cabal will declare the insane actions to be POPULAR…since know one is protesting them.

People are SELF-CENSORING, and being urged NOT to protest.

9. 2021 January 17 7:56 am

Since the intent of the incoming Regime is to treat all those who oppose them as prisoners of war, it’s worth remembering that one of your responsibilities as a POW is to cause the enemy to have to use “an inordinate amount of resources to guard you”. In fact, the U.S. military Code of Conduct is worth re-reading:

Article I:

I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

Article II:

I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

Article III:

If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

Article IV:

If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.

Article V:

When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

Article VI:

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

10. 2021 January 17 9:16 am

JimNorCal #5 –

That’s why I suggest starting a boycott with Procter & Gamble. P&G has so many brands – Tide, Gain, Crest, Cascade, Jillette, Charmin, Puffs, Head & Shoulders, Secret to name but a few. These brands all have quality competitors and they are are all product categories we all use. On the supermarket shelves All and Purex are next to Tide and Gain, Colgate and Pepsodent are next to Crest and Bic, Shick and Barbersol are next to Jillette.

I have been boycotting P&G products for 5+ years. It’s easy and fun.

11. 2021 January 17 9:22 am

PresidentRonaldPaul #4 –

That was one of few good ideas John McCain had – cable doing away with bundles and offering channels a la carte.

12. 2021 January 17 10:17 am

The only cable we have is internet service. We dumped the TV channels 8 years ago. It just did not make sense to pay then $30/mo for something we rarely watched. As it is my wife watches Russian channels she can get over the internet. As it is digital TV is also a factor. With MeTV, THiS, and other channels they make a fair substitute when I do have a spare moment. Then there is content on YouTube (and more coming on Rumble) that in many ways is as good or better than traditional TV. We overflow with content and there is not time enough to watch it all anyway.

Plus the tech now makes it possible for a light internet user to be satisfied with a 4gLTE signal. You can buy a router that uses 4gLTE for transport. There are even cellular packages that do not charge for movie package viewing against the data cap. So many who are not on the ‘net 18 hrs a day can find that offering sufficient.

Too many channels and much of it is junk. I am surprised that content bundling still exists at this time.

13. 2021 January 17 10:22 am

Heh, if Haaaaavard revoked degrees a class action suit would ensue by those harmed to get their money back. Not a great way to spend those billions in endowment money.

Which by the way, ever seen a Haaaaaavard sheepskin? Saw one, it had verbage to the effect “… the graduate so vested appears to have completed the responsibilities so conferred …”. Appears, such confidence. I have dealt with two of them in my career. I would never hire a Haaaaaavard man ever.

14. 2021 January 17 10:41 am

All we have to do is wait. The Left is going to cook their own goose —

* Crypto is going thru the roof. That is signalling a no vote for the USD.
    * IMF has called for a new Bretton Woods. That is signalling a no vote for the USD.
    * The Left is probably going to burn thru no less than $4Tn, possibly double in year 1 of Biden*. Weakens the USD. That is by the way on top of the structural $1Tn of deficit now baked in.
    * Any solar inspired new green deal is going to drive silver prices higher. (solar panels contain silver.)
    * All of Biden*s financial officials are married to MMT. They think they can print all they want. Weakens the USD.
    * At some point the CoVid has to clear. There are by best guess 20m households who have no chance of paying the back rent due. Bidenvilles will be cropping up all over.
    * State tax revenues are already collapsing and it will accelerate. There will be a big push for the Feds to bail’em out.

We may very well see a USD collapse in Biden*s 2nd year in office. That will put the Left in a collision course with itself. Biden* will be the new Herbert Hoover. Most of us here lived thru the stagflation of the late 70’s. The majority of the population has never experienced it. Buckle in.

15. 2021 January 17 10:58 am

BC, 10,

Been doing a variation of your boycott for quite some time. Only I make most of the chemical products that PG makes at home. If you look on the label of most household cleaners their base ingredient is either alcohol or vinegar with a detergent agent added. Probably the only item we might not be able to create is cereals like grapenut flakes or rice krispies. But even there many stores carry house brands of similar quality.

The other thing we can be doing is buying local. Find those mom and pop stores and deal with them. Avoid the chains. I find I get better service, and if you frequent them enough that they know you by name most will go the extra mile for you.

By the way this is year 5 of yours truly not visiting a mall.

16. 2021 January 17 11:05 am

17. 2021 January 17 11:14 am

Notice anything odd about that fence?? No clue?? Answer here — https://bigcountryexpatoriginal.blogspot.com/2021/01/the-how-and-why.html

This is how WELL the Biden* administration will go and it has not officially started yet. Buckle in.

18. 2021 January 17 11:33 am

Unlikely that once a degree is issued, it can be recalled.

19. 2021 January 17 11:41 am

20. 2021 January 17 11:58 am
    Eph permalink

Buckle up!

The revolution is coming.

LMAO.

21. 2021 January 17 12:06 pm

Kalifornia pays $10-billion in fraudulent COVID-19 unemployment claims:

22. 2021 January 17 1:05 pm

drdog #16 –

The two grocery stores I am planning to switch to are both smaller southeast Michigan chains. Busch’s has about 15 locations and Hollywood Markets has only five.

As I have said before, my boycotts often involve choosing foreign-based multi-nationals over US-based multi-nationals: Acer (Taiwanese) over Dell, Finish (British) over Cascade and All (German) over Tide.

23. 2021 January 17 1:25 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

False Flag Alert!

Gee, I wonder who got that?

Must be those “domestic terrorist” Trumpers that the oh so honest & politically non-partisan FBI has been warning us about…..

The push to quash the 2A is on……full steam

24. 2021 January 17 2:28 pm

drdog – good news for you (at least on the alcohol front). Yuengling Beer is coming to Texas. Now you can get a real Patriotic American beer.

25. 2021 January 17 3:32 pm

GN,

Thanks. Maybe now BC will come visit! 🙂

26. 2021 January 17 3:37 pm

I been thinking (fear that….), maybe what we conservatives should consider is a under the table form of discount code for merchants who prefer our business. Implementation is what stumps me.

Bottom line is, we need to start thinking about an underground economy.

27. 2021 January 17 3:52 pm
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

My television viewing:

AM hedgeye show: 30 min morning show (some days)
    Sirius Radio Bloomberg TV usually in car for something to listen to
    PM Real Vision Daily Briefing: 30-60 min show at 5Pm (some days) + any Real Vision daily interviews I might want.
    Random youtube channels I follow like George Gammon
    maybe some random Nflx or espn\FoxSports

Probably watch more than most I guess.
    My problem with political news is I already know what I think so it’s pointless to listen to them most of the time.

28. 2021 January 17 3:58 pm

It was probably a couple of drunk E2’s on weekend pass and forgot where they parked it. 🙂

29. 2021 January 17 4:23 pm

Hi, been away a long time….just proving I can login again thanks to Dr Dog. Looks like you all know what is coming. Dystopian States of America. Nice to see so many names I remember. Can’t stay now but will another time.

30. 2021 January 17 4:48 pm
    mpt permalink

Dystopian States of America.

I don’t know, I still have some hope the left will bungle their Great Reset push like they do everything else. Look at Kalifornia, it’s a frick’n mess. This country has seen some pretty bleak time in the past and has always bounced back before. Certainly, no guarantee, but a big pushback will probably take place this time as well.

31. 2021 January 17 4:54 pm
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

Blasio gets WOKE

Testing For NYC’s “Gifted And Talented” Student Program Is Deemed Unfair, Will Be Eliminated

32. 2021 January 17 5:04 pm

Is Biden 78 or 98? You can see why they kept him off the campaign trail:

33. 2021 January 17 5:21 pm
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

stating the obvious

RAND PAUL: If Mitch McConnell Impeaches Trump, One Third Of Republicans Will Leave The Party

34. 2021 January 17 5:23 pm

MPT, it doesn’t matter how bad they bungle things, the Ministry of Truth is now a reality. The media is nearly 100% in lockstep with BigTech. And the new Regime will VERY quickly deem even questioning the bullshit being spewed to be “Hate Speech”.

Once the 1st Amendment is laid to rest, the Proles will cheer when they are told the “30 grams per week chocolate ration” is being “RAISED to 25 grams per week”

We have ALWAYS been at war with Eurasia.

35. 2021 January 17 5:24 pm

PRP, 1/3 is a conservative estimate…no pun intended.

36. 2021 January 17 6:48 pm

Glad to see it worked bruce.

37. 2021 January 17 6:50 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

“GOP Rep. Meijer Says Impeachment Vote May Have Ended His Career”

“Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene Temporarily Suspended From Twitter”
    Plans to submit bill to impeach Biden*

“Parler’s Website Back Online With a Message From Its CEO”
    Still not working for me but maybe users thronged back on …or lefties started a DDOS attack on the site.

Regarding CAs disfunctional unemployment department, watch out for spurious claims–

1/2
    California EDD fraud that’s at least 10 Billion..is going to be a huge issue and bomb once the 1099-G get issued. A ton of legitimate working people around America are going to be taxed $20,000 to $50,000 dollars in unemployment benefits that they did not collect due to fraud
    — Adam Housley (@adamhousley) January 16, 2021
    It’s going to be a mess:

2/2
    In some cases this will place them in higher tax brackets and owe thousands of dollars in tax bills. The theft is so blatant. Do you you think the IRS is going to be able sort this out? I bet they can’t. How can they know who’s PII was stolen and whose wasn’t.
    — Adam Housley (@adamhousley) January 16, 2021

38. 2021 January 17 6:52 pm

Sparta Report Is Gone:

39. 2021 January 17 6:53 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

Curious, Parler works from my laptop using “parler.com” but the iPhone app is failing.
    Did Apple disable it?
    “Don’t trust Apple. Apple is asshoe.”

40. 2021 January 17 6:53 pm

Well I attended the Legal Insurrection webinar. Some interesting perspectives but nothing really that new that most of us here don’t know either legally or technically. One insightful listener (not me) raised the question as to why we even need Sec 230 if we apply common carrier rules. Phone companies for example can’t tell the Mafia they can’t have a phone and the phone company is not liable for anything that is carried that is illegal on the network.

41. 2021 January 17 6:56 pm

Jim,

The Parler site is only a static page, not a functional interactive yet. That is why the phone app is not working.

42. 2021 January 17 7:05 pm

“… Do you you think the IRS is going to be able sort this out? I bet they can’t. How can they know who’s PII was stolen and whose wasn’t. …”

The IRS already has a solution to this. Started about 5 years ago when general filing fraud was happening with illegals. Fact it has happened to my wife once and attempt to me once.

The solution? Request a pin from the IRS — https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin We have one, it works. Course this does not stop the trash already in the pipeline.

43. 2021 January 17 7:19 pm
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

Love luke Gromen’s interviews.

44. 2021 January 17 7:40 pm
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

“Let me clear. There is no Paul Volcker coming this time.”

45. 2021 January 17 7:43 pm
    Wylie E. Coyote permalink

Excellent video explaining “critical theory” aka “critical race theory” and how it is being used to impose Stalinism right now…

Has some practical advice on how it can and must be resisted right now!

46. 2021 January 17 8:31 pm
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

Weren’t there like 10 GOP congressmen or so who voted for impeachment… and how many senators will there be.

There is an argument that getting rid of these lawmakers will make the party even more loyal to Trump.

47. 2021 January 17 8:41 pm

DIMs need to drop the impeachment. 4days it’s moot. If they go for Trump after that the open a can of worms they will regret.

48. 2021 January 17 9:03 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

48, personally I support Trump but I don’t require it.
    BUT, when we see Dem congressmen, Dem Senators and Dem SCOTUS justices voting in lockstep every single time then GOP and GOPe need to hold ranks on key votes and not be traitors.

I plan to support Repubs just the same as they support my guy.

49. 2021 January 17 10:38 pm
    mpt permalink

If they go for Trump after that they open a can of worms they will regret.

I agree 100%. Not that they aren’t stupid enough to continue to pursue and harass Trump, but that the end result would likely be much different than they anticipate.

50. 2021 January 17 10:51 pm
    mpt permalink

The positive about all of this is that they are forcing opposition on the right to react in ways that ultimately put that opposition less under their thumbs. It was stupid for those on the right side of the political spectrum to ever believe Big Tech and Big Media (aka. Fox News) ever had their back out of a sense of fair play. That illusion has now been thoroughly shattered and we have no choice but to change our ways. The mistake the left is making is they believe Google, Apple, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, etc.. are the gatekeepers. The technology at play doesn’t work that way. It’s only to the degree they can keep fooling us to buy into their world view that they can keep winning. It won’t be easy, it won’t be convenient, but it is thoroughly necessary that we becoming technically independent of what Big Tech and Big Media have to offer.

51. 2021 January 18 7:20 am

The author’s points re. what we face are real. But his glimmer of hope re. Trump having a “royal flush” hidden up his sleeve is delusional.

52. 2021 January 18 7:32 am

MPT, the real problem is, quite frankly, people like my wife. I adore her, but she is EXACTLY like millions of others who “only go on Facebook to keep in contact with family“. (And to watch cat-videos)

EVERY time they go on they are subjected to “news” and opinions that ALL slant ONE direction. Whether they click the links or not, they have to scroll past those first. Same with Google searches, the Left’s view is ALWAYS front & center.

Trump was able to use Twitter while they were using him…and then they (and their allies) shut him down completely

the Left/BigTech/media don’t hold all the cards…but they hold most of them. Is the moon a harsh mistress? Time will tell. 🙂

53. 2021 January 18 7:42 am

Wow. It is as though the author has read through the posts and comments at BJG and crafted them into one article.

Read, save…and pass along on any other portals you frequent. I’ll link it on MeWe later as well.

The author includes this chilling and prophetic quote from Churchill in ‘The Gathering Storm’:

“If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

54. 2021 January 18 7:48 am

American Thinker dropped comments last week. Newsbusters dropped comments several months ago. Sparta Report is shut down. Posters at Sparta Report should have accepted my invitation to join us.

55. 2021 January 18 7:53 am

56. 2021 January 18 8:02 am

This is already the state of things in the PRK…and the Biden* Regime will spread this across America.

How do you know what’s illegal and what’s not?

You don’t. That’s the point.

When the populace (read: “Proles”) are unsure if what they are doing or saying is “illegal”, or even if something they possess has suddenly been deemed “illegal”, they exist in a state of FEAR. Which is EXACTLY where the Fascists want them!

57. 2021 January 18 9:06 am

the title of the article linked below tells you what the “Elite” think of us in “rural California” (or “rural” anywhere). “Defiance” or government edicts and “Suspicion” of government motives USED TO BE hallmarks of being an American…regardless of whether the Covid-19 vaccines are a good idea (which I actually believe they probably are).

58. 2021 January 18 9:15 am

Sunday evenings Movies TV Network has Movies Noir starting at 8 PM. These are mostly crime movies from the 1940s and early 1950s. Last night they had “I Was a Communist for the FBI” starring Frank Lovejoy.

Several things came to mind
    1. There is no way a movie like this would be produced today
    2. The communists have made greater gains in the US than they dreamed possible
    3. The FBI has morphed from an agency that pursued criminals and protected the republic to a highly political agency whose primary purpose is to protect deep state

George Orwell was correct about everything except the year.

59. 2021 January 18 9:19 am

I have almost zero faith in this article…but it may be worth discussing 🙂

60. 2021 January 18 9:20 am

bc3b: “George Orwell was correct about everything except the year.”

Turns out Orwell was an OPTIMIST!

61. 2021 January 18 9:24 am

62. 2021 January 18 9:31 am

We’ll see what comes of this: Joe Ricketts to launch “unbiased” national news site:

63. 2021 January 18 9:39 am

Speaking of 1984:

64. 2021 January 18 10:54 am

35 – Only 1/3rd ? Pretty low for such an event.
    39 – They can’t and most of it will end up just being ignored in the long term, in the short terms probably chaos, which works for them to demand congress give them even more headcount, but in the end watch if you’re of the right political affiliation the tax bill (that portion of it) will disappear.

56 – SR shutdown themselves?, or where they booted? I’m guess rightstrategy has had an influx then.

57 – Not surprised, they’ve been trying on the DL to do that to both for as long as they’ve existed, but definitely trying to jump on timing to push hard now.

60 – I would argue that while it may have morphed, it morphed a LONG long time ago and I’m talking ~50 years. The only thing relatively new there is they don’t bother or work at even hiding the fact anymore.

65. 2021 January 18 10:54 am

bc3b -#64 – nothing like saying “shoot me”. Easy to identify who to shoot, when the time comes. Hey, we never said they were that intelligent.

66. 2021 January 18 10:56 am

Where are the pardons mr. president? If nothing else, do it annoy all the right people.

67. 2021 January 18 10:56 am

just BARELY satire. MLK would indeed be banned from Twitter & Facebook if denied the AWESOMENESS of race-based preferences.

68. 2021 January 18 11:07 am

70 – yeah not even satire at this point, has happened this year just swap photos out.

69. 2021 January 18 12:42 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

61, “There are now 250,000 Chinese troops surrounding us, 75,000 in Canada and the rest in Mexico.”

I’m not feeling a lot of confidence in that one …

70. 2021 January 18 12:45 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

Want to give Rumble (a YouTube alternate that is not anti-conservative) a click?

Want to let Loews Hotels know your thoughts?
    loewshotelsreservations@loewshotels.com

71. 2021 January 18 1:07 pm
    Eph permalink

Trump checked out weeks ago.

Wasted 4 years.

The King

72. 2021 January 18 1:34 pm

Hundreds of writers and book agents have signed a letter to the publishing industry demanding “ No book deals for traitors.”

They must be referring to the Obamas and the Clintons. A little late, but I’m glad they woke up.

Say what?