Have a Blessed Easter

2021 April 3

1. 2021 April 3 10:13 pm
    mpt permalink

Just got back from dropping my 19-year-old son off in Texas to seek his fortune. A lot of driving, followed by a lot of work helping him get his apartment set up, then a lot more driving. What a week. Whew!!! BTW, driving a 27-year-old Miata halfway across the US royally sucks. 🙁 Fortunately, we could share driving it and a comfortable Escalade.

My son is not going about things the way that I would have preferred, but I guess we all have to find our own way. My wife and I raised our kids to be very independent and we are getting what we asked for. The area that he can afford to rent in Austin is, shall we say, very rough and very urban. Especially for a kid who so far has only ever lived in an upper-middle-class suburban neighborhood in Silicon Valley. If he can make a go of this, it will definitely be a character-building experience for him. The next step is to begin his job search.

2. 2021 April 3 10:56 pm
    mpt permalink

I’m not a religious person by any measure of the word. I was raised Catholic and as a child, never doubted the existence of God. However, at age 12 I had an experience where I could not reconcile the concept of an all-loving God with how cruel the realities of life can be. This experience, and lacking a mentor who could help me put my prayers not being answered in context, soured me on all religion for many decades. Also, the story of Jesus suffering on the cross to the point of crying out in despair “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” never sat well with me for many of the same reasons.

Now that I’m a lot older and have raised my own children, I think I now have a much better perspective on what the Bible describes as God’s love for us, his children. With my own children, there are a lot of material goods I can give them that could make their lives much easier and more comfortable, but doing so would never allow them to grow and mature to find out who they really are inside and what they themselves are capable of. I will always have their back, and nothing they could do would ever change that, but the success they find in life will have to be their own. Just giving what they desire to them would be robbing them of a much deeper and more meaningful gift.

It’s funny how it has taken my decades to understand why not all prayers are answered by God, or at least, how we expect them to be answered. Perhaps I’m just more dense than others.

Happy Easter everyone.

3. 2021 April 4 2:27 am
    JimNorCal permalink

Great to see you, mpt. Welcome back and best wishes to your son.
    Saw someone post something to the effect–
    Don’t give your children what you’ve earned.
    Pass along what you’ve learned.
    Knowledge is eternal.

4. 2021 April 4 2:40 am
    JimNorCal permalink

5. 2021 April 4 5:45 am

Happy Easter everyone.

6. 2021 April 4 6:05 am

Happy Easter to all!!

He is Risen INDEED!!

p.s. to MPT: may God bless and watch over your son!!

7. 2021 April 4 7:20 am
    fight on permalink

Happy Easter to BJGers.

8. 2021 April 4 7:32 am
    JimNorCal permalink

The “three crosses” image is inspiring. Thanks for selecting that.
    No matter how humble you are, even a common criminal, there’s a place for you next to Jesus if you choose.

9. 2021 April 4 8:43 am

“I did some soul-searching on this trip and thought about a father’s job is not to protect his son from the world (as strong as the urges are), but to prepare his son for whatever the world will toss his way. Both the good and the bad. I guess time will tell my grade in this respect.” — mpt

And so is desires of God our Father.

10. 2021 April 4 8:46 am

May Easter bring blessing to all.

11. 2021 April 4 8:46 am

The stone rolled away. The empty tomb.
    The realization that Jesus Christ had risen.
    One day that changed everything.
    He has Risen Indeed.

Happy Easter, all.

12. 2021 April 4 8:51 am

And the Philistines break into the Temple — https://www.zerohedge.com/political/brutal-abuse-power-watch-uk-police-break-easter-service-london — this is insanity.

13. 2021 April 4 9:23 am
    JimNorCal permalink

Some are fighting back. May their numbers increase.
    “Nazis not welcome here. Don’t come back without a warrant.”

14. 2021 April 4 9:24 am

MPT – How can a Miata last 27 years?

15. 2021 April 4 10:42 am

Awesome. Accent possibly OZ or NZ? The cops knew they had not a leg to stand on.

16. 2021 April 4 10:52 am
    JimNorCal permalink

17. 2021 April 4 11:22 am
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

Have a blessed Easter….although I’m not that religious myself.

“People work in order to convert their time into a unit of account,” he said.
    “We call that money, and it’s an invention that allows us to store time.”
    “One share of Google stores 70 hours of work for the average American, or 2 hours of copying-and-pasting formation documents for the average hedge fund attorney.”

There’s actually a movie I’ve been meaning to watch called “in Time” 2011 it’s a scifi featuring Justin Tomberlake as the main character of all people where instead of money everyone has a watch on with how much time they have, which runs the system.

18. 2021 April 4 11:34 am
    Eph permalink

Dear BFFs,

Have a blessed Easter Sunday.

Most humbly,

Eph and The King

19. 2021 April 4 11:38 am

Happy Resurrection Sunday, the true “Super Sunday”.

20. 2021 April 4 11:48 am

MPT If he survives Berkeley east unscathed and doesn’t come back a raging commie, he will have made the grade.

21. 2021 April 4 11:58 am

My buddy – Fr. Huffman – down in Ironton, OH had a huge class of converts this year – 19 (compared to my much larger parish, which only had 1). Unfortunately, 1 didn’t make it. He died of an unexpected heart attack one week prior to official initiation. Fr. Huffman spoke with him the afternoon he died. The man and his wife were taking instructions together; one of their sons is a convert to Catholicism. A mass of Christian burial was held on Wednesday and last evening the wife officially became a member of the Church. Sad.

GN – Ever been to Ironton?

22. 2021 April 4 12:45 pm

bc3b – not have that privilege. Been to Portsmouth (up the road) and Ashland (Kentucky – across the river from Ironton). Probably should go, been also to Athens and Marietta. Need to go along the river from Portsmouth to St Clairsville (maybe as far as Steubenville/East Liverpool).

It is pretty country along the river, plus the folks are down home type of people.

bc3b – giving me ideas for this summer. Promised the wife that I would take her to the Kelly’s Island. Might make a grand circuit.

23. 2021 April 4 1:42 pm
    mpt permalink

MPT – How can a Miata last 27 years?

It’s a ’94 NA with about 170k miles on it, but it runs pretty good. My son wanted it because it was a great starter car for him to wrench on. Parts for it are fairly cheap and readily available. Great for zooming around the Bay Area and driving along the coast with the top down, but probably wholely unsuitable for central Texas. I suspect he’ll be trading it in for a truck soon enough.

24. 2021 April 4 1:55 pm
    mpt permalink

“Nazis not welcome here. Don’t come back without a warrant.”

That video was great. God bless that pastor for protecting his people and their place of worship.

25. 2021 April 4 1:57 pm
    mpt permalink

I sincerely hope this is the case. Time will tell.