What a Difference 40 Years Makes

2021 August 2

Top 10 Greatest Underdog Sports Stories of All-Time

In Lake Placid the US Olympic hockey team defeated a highly favored Soviet team to win the gold medal in the 1980 winter Olympics. The entire country was united behind them. It was an epic event of the cold war and a point of pride for all Americans, regardless of party affiliation.

9 of 11 USWNT starters kneeled during the national anthem ...

Fast forward 41 years. The US Women’s National Team is highly political. 9 of 11 starters knelt during the National Anthem in a match prior to the Tokyo Olympics. The ladies are led by their captain, a rather repulsive creature named Megan Rapinoe. Unlike the overperforming 1980 hockey team, the 2021 US women’s soccer team underperformed badly. The US women have a major advantage over most national women’s teams in terms of funding and facilities.

Prior to the Tokyo games, ESPN asked, Are the Olympics too Easy and Small for Women’s Soccer?

Unlike the 1980 Gold Cup winning hockey team, the USWNT divided rather than united Americans. From comments following an embarrassing loss to Canada, it appears more Americans may have been rooting for Canada (or more specifically against the US).

Sports in the US were once non-political. A liberal baseball fan high-fived a conservative fan when their favorite team scored a walk-off win. Today that has changed as athletes believe they “have a platform” to spout views fans don’t want to hear.

Go Matildas!!!

1. 2021 August 2 1:42 pm

The 1980 team was comprised entirely of amateurs (on a team put together for the Olympics) while the Soviets basically professionals and were in the employment of the Soviet government.

2. 2021 August 2 1:46 pm

“Today that has changed as athletes believe they “have a platform” to spout views fans don’t want to hear.”

Surprisingly even some Libs I know are tired of the knee bending. They want to escape from the sameness of their lives too. The Woke crowd on the other hand….

3. 2021 August 2 1:51 pm

I remember watching that game live and I am not even a hockey fan. It was one of those “are we really going for the gold?” kind of moments. I figured we would have been knocked off by the Canadians or Swedes like we usually did.

4. 2021 August 2 1:56 pm

The French saying ‘Enough!’? — https://www.revolver.news/2021/08/france-king-louis-vaxx-moment/ — If they blow up can the Germans in their Teutonic patience be far behind?

5. 2021 August 2 2:13 pm

TWO gals stood, and ONE put her hand over her heart. God bless HER.

The kneeling c**ts can kiss my ass…and wait in line to do so!

They are now out of Gold medal contention…and will almost certainly blame their loss on all the “bad vibes” from Trump voters

6. 2021 August 2 2:20 pm
    fight on permalink

BC I was just out of college in 1980 and living in a three story apt buliding. After Al Michaels said ” do you believe in miracles” Every tennant in the complex was on their balcony screaming USA USA.

It was a moment I will never forget. Now I don’t give a shit about the olympics. The only event I have watched has been the golf.

7. 2021 August 2 3:08 pm

Gab to create alternate payment system. — https://creativedestructionmedia.com/news/business/2021/08/02/gab-building-paypal-alternative/ — locals.com already has one. Others are doing the same. Pretty soon we won’t need ‘Their’ systems and an alternate economy is born.

8. 2021 August 2 3:42 pm

I was working at TRW Credit Data in Orange, CA…and knew they were NOT going to broadcast the game in any fashion, soooooo….

true story:
    I took over one of the conference rooms with a really good speaker-phone system and called 411 to get the phone number for the Lake Placid PD. I warned my boss this was gonna be an expensive long-distance call, but he gave me a code to use to “limit the damage”. I called the Lake Placid PD and asked the cop who answered if they were watching the game on local TV. After a bit of hemming and hawing he admitted they were. I told him where I was calling from, and asked if he could put the handset down next to the speaker on the TV.

He was incredulous. I told him I had a conference room full of people who wanted to listen (I did by that point). He gave us a different number to call back in on, but warned that they sometimes needed that line too, and might have to hang up suddenly…but to CALL BACK if that happened!

He came back on as each period ended and told us to call back in 20 minutes, which we did. Listened to the whole game!! He thought we were crazy, but admitted it was fun that we did it.

nice cop!

9. 2021 August 2 3:43 pm

More good news from the Olympics. Laurel Hubbard – New Zealand’s tranny weightlifter out – couldn’t complete a single lift:

10. 2021 August 2 3:48 pm

The song playing in the back of my head is The Beatles “You Say You Want a Revolution”

Because THIS is how you get one

11. 2021 August 2 3:48 pm

JR #5 –

Not that I notice those things, but the girls standing are also the best looking.

12. 2021 August 2 3:54 pm

By now, the Chicago Police likely have found the bodies – 52 shot; 8 killed:

13. 2021 August 2 4:00 pm

JR –

Since you brought the Beatles up, Yellow Submarine was recorded in 1968 – 50 years after the end of World War I and 53 years from 2021.

14. 2021 August 2 4:07 pm

15. 2021 August 2 4:15 pm

The greatest danger with the coercion model is that it will further deepen our divisions and turn vaccine resistance into a type of patriotic resistance for some people. Recently, a shocking poll found that almost 50 percent of Republicans believe “patriotic Americans [might] have to take the law into their own hands.” The poll shows how many Americans are increasingly alienated from the government, the media and the established order. Conversely, some commentators on the left have declared that the unvaccinated are terrorists using “biological warfare” against the nation.

— Authored by Jonathan Turley , GW Law

Turley is a Lib and even he is waving a flag saying you “don’t want to go there….” RTWT.

16. 2021 August 2 4:19 pm

Seems like yesterday, just like bell bottoms, 6″ lifts, and Nehru jackets.

17. 2021 August 2 8:25 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

Stuff in the bloated “infrastructure” bill, including Amtrak upgrades. In Canada.

Oops.

18. 2021 August 2 8:28 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

7, could be a game changer and needed ASAP

19. 2021 August 2 11:04 pm

15 – Oh and hello 20-25% increases announced for the vaxes today, is it any wonder now that morons are trying to ‘mandate’ it and the public is largely rolling right over? I laughed my ass off when I heard that news, talk about obvious timing, and don’t give me this cost increases bla bla, damn thing has been paid for already, it’s all profit from here on out, and not mention have you heard you really should follow up this 3rd booster shot we now got cause you know the first too that we just raised prices on don’t really work. What a transparent scam.

17 – In Canada, but of course!

20. 2021 August 3 12:15 am

I remember watching the 1980 hockey game with my roommates. Cheering in our living room with the rest of America. In my mind I always link it with the Reagan years, despite the fact it was during Carter, because looking back at the excitement and lift that gold gave the country, it seems like it marked the end of the Carter era more than the November election day.

21. 2021 August 3 12:53 am
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

Raoul Pal interviewed Jeff Booth in the past couple days. Two of my favorite people. Unfortunately it’s paywalled for now but should be on youtube next month.

They talk about the politicians are having conversations and debates that are two orders of magnitude away from the actual causes&problems they are trying to solve. Raoul said he is reading a book called the great reckening, which i might read this weekend.

22. 2021 August 3 3:17 am

So true ….

23. 2021 August 3 3:32 am

Dr Hanson, glad you joined the party — https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/incompetence-arrogance-woke — Party favors are on the left, betting pool when it all lights up in CW2 on the right.

Excerpt —

I suggest Parker might first ensure that his airline has not become a Third-World carrier before he seeks to enlighten Americans on their supposed backwardness. I just took a flight on one of Parker’s American Airlines flights from central California to Dallas, Texas. But right before boarding the full flight, passengers were apprised that American did not have enough gas in the plane to make it to Dallas—and couldn’t find any in Fresno. So it was “stopping off” on the way in San Francisco to “fill up”—180 miles away and in the exact opposite direction of its eventual destination. I’ve only twice been on a plane without enough fuel to reach its destination and in need of a detour to find gas somewhere— once 15 years ago in Mexico and the other in 1974 in Egypt.

24. 2021 August 3 4:05 am
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

Was Vitalik Buterin crazy in his assessment?

If you go back the internet itself came from similar past along with the TOR network and as article states GPS etc.

25. 2021 August 3 4:08 am

Possible? — https://gatesofvienna.net/2021/08/implementing-geronticide/ — That would put the moniker “to save the village is to burn the village” at a scale unimaginable.

26. 2021 August 3 4:25 am
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

Denis Villeneuve is directing the new DUNE. Can’t remem if I posted this trailer already. He did Sicario one of my favorite movies I’ve seen in last couple years.

27. 2021 August 3 6:03 am

I could see where the existence of something like BTC would be useful for funding clandestine ops. The rub is the acceptance rate has to be high and worldwide first, to be useful. We are there now of course. Says a hell of alot about their patience quotient. Says even less that they never considered secondary consequences.

28. 2021 August 3 6:05 am

n ‘1984’ Big Brother uses the constant state of war with Eurasia EastAsia Eurasia…whom they have “always been at war with”.

The enemy switches back & forth from Eurasia to EastAsia, and back again and the proles buy it because “EMERGENCY!!”

A constant State of FEAR is the desired goal. Because fearful people are much more easily manipulated.

29. 2021 August 3 6:20 am

drdog09 #16

Seems like yesterday, just like bell bottoms, 6″ lifts, and Nehru jackets.

There were also mini skirts, hot pants, hip huggers, tie-top blouses and tube tops. That’s what I remember.

30. 2021 August 3 6:23 am

INC #20 –

The “Miracle on Ice” was one of those times in history when 41 years later, everyone remembers where they were.

31. 2021 August 3 6:36 am

NO ONE who labeled the lab outbreak (or intentional release) hypothesis a “conspiracy theory” will EVER acknowledge it wasn’t…let alone apologize for ruining the lives of people who questioned the “wet market” bullshit.

32. 2021 August 3 7:04 am

Skirt Chaser! 🙂 But a red blooded American sport it is.

33. 2021 August 3 7:09 am

Jack Dorcey reminds me of a figure out of history — Rasputin. The parallels a sorta uncanny. He cast his spell on a monarchy and changed history. Dorcey is attempting to cast his spell on a populace and so far he’s winning

34. 2021 August 3 7:21 am

drdog09 #33 –

In the late 1970s I worked for a company that had a reputation for hiring beautiful young secretaries. Friday was a half-day (except for me as I had the Chrysler account – the company’s biggest account).

The girls took casual dress to heart and pushed the envelope. It was in downtown Dayton and there were traffic jams around the building at noon Fridays. The Dayton Police assigned several officers to handle the traffic every week.

Don’t feel sorry for me. I worked Friday afternoons but got to attend dealer incentive trips to places like London and Hawaii with my wife.

35. 2021 August 3 9:02 am

You poor thing….. 🙂

36. 2021 August 3 9:18 am

I am starting to enjoy the Olympics even though I haven’t watched a minute.

Gwen Berry failed to medal and won’t have a chance to protest at the winners’ stand:

She finished 11th out of 12.

37. 2021 August 3 9:40 am

idk how ‘huge’ it is, but it does add details and documented network structure to what we all already knew existed. Interesting details in the cases.

38. 2021 August 3 10:50 am

The Olympics keeps getting weirder. The Canadian soccer team has a biological female player that classifies herself as non-binary.

39. 2021 August 3 11:49 am

Ya know the Greeks who started the Games had a solution for that — everybody plays in the nude. By visual inspection the ranking judge should be able to determine relatively easily your gender qualifications. 🙂

40. 2021 August 3 11:55 am

Huge indeed! If the courts are honest (cough, cough) this should be sufficient to trigger Marsh v Alabama, aka Twitter is working as a ‘State Actor’. Would be just the thing that Thomas would be looking for to issue cert to bring it to SCOTUS.

41. 2021 August 3 12:01 pm

Visions of airline CEOs rattling a tin cup — https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/airports-nantucket-california-suffer-jet-fuel-shortages — “Say mister can you spare a thousand gallons of Jet-A?”

see #23.

42. 2021 August 3 3:12 pm

Biden calls on Gov. Cuomo to resign:

43. 2021 August 3 3:36 pm

Idiocracy the movie is on YT right now. Seems appropriate, no?

44. 2021 August 3 3:41 pm
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

SC court rules that only congress has the power to extent eviction moratorium. Biden then orders the CDC to defy the Supreme court via extending evictions 3 more months. https://www.zerohedge.com/political/after-claiming-hands-tied-biden-admin-issue-targeted-eviction-ban

45. 2021 August 3 3:55 pm
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

Btw this bipartisan infrastructure bill has 2700 pages.

Even if you combined all the reading that the 100 senators have done on it, it’s doubtful that they read this bill or even know what’s in it

46. 2021 August 3 4:08 pm

excellent…as always

47. 2021 August 3 5:11 pm
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

3rd phizer shot likely for September in USA

48. 2021 August 3 5:22 pm

Seen the inside of that sausage making. Seldom do CongressCritters write bills. I saw GTE hand Tip O’Neal pretty much finished work for inclusion in a bill once. His probably said put it on page 120 as a rider.

49. 2021 August 3 6:27 pm
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

New Top Gun movie out soon.

Tencent had partial funding of it and they required maverick’s jacket to be changed from the original removing taiwanese flag as well as Japanese flag.

50. 2021 August 3 7:03 pm
    JBoz permalink

51. 2021 August 3 7:41 pm
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

Cyberhornets vs the senate

52. 2021 August 3 8:26 pm

bc3b #30, exactly!

53. 2021 August 3 8:32 pm

ICYMI: Gold Medalist Tamyra Mensah-Stock

US gold medal winner’s unguarded, faith-filled tears of joy — and patriotic verve — might be best moment of Tokyo Olympics

Such a happy moment for her. She cried remembering her dad who died in a car accident coming home from one of her high school meets.

“Mensah-Stock then broke into a smile when she noted that her late father was from Ghana and that he was “like enemies with Nigeria,” which made her final match against Nigeria’s Blessing Oborududu “kind of like poetic.””

Then she said what we’ve heard so many past athletes say:

“it’s by the grace of God I’m able to even move my feet. Like, I just leave it in His hands and I pray that all the practice … the hell that my freaking coaches put me through pays off, and every single time it does, and I get better and better, and it’s so weird that there is no cap to the limit that I can do. And I’m excited to see … what I have next.”

“It feels amazing. I love representing the U.S. I freaking love living there. I love it. And I’m so happy I get to represent U-S-A!”

54. 2021 August 3 9:25 pm

55. 2021 August 3 10:33 pm

2600… bigger than barrycare

On the eviction moratorium… everyone just does what they want these days regardless of rulings – because, who’s really going to stop them?

56. 2021 August 3 10:35 pm

re:54 – “With its abdication, the Roberts Court—surely the worst since the heyday of Earl Warren, if only by its utter passivity in the face of the threat to our republican democracy—indicated that the American people were henceforth on their own, and ushered in the age of our very own Ministry of Fear. Unless it is smashed, its reign is likely to last a long time.”

…and even when they do engaged they are increasingly just ignored.

57. 2021 August 4 1:05 am
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

58. 2021 August 4 1:16 am

2700 pages now..
    Also …

More tech mandated to increase the cost of car, not to mention the privacy invasion, and you can bet your ins. company gonna want access to it’s data.

Then there is more…
    Another provision in the bill was to combat deaths of children accidentally left in hot cars called a “door logic” alert that reminds drivers to check the backseat when turning off the engine. Other provisions in the bill include mandates for automatic braking and crash avoidance systems and rear guards for semitrailer trucks.

What a joke.

59. 2021 August 4 1:20 am

60. 2021 August 4 1:36 am

“Home Depot has been struggling with “organized retail crime,” raiding its stores across the country and stealing millions of dollars worth of power tools. ”

Well that tends to happen when you defund the police, or operate your stores in utterly mismanaged cities, not that I’m a fan of the popo etc. You know this didn’t happen much when mobs rushing a store to steal shit was met with bullets, and pigs and da’s courts and juries shrugged after the fact knowing some people got what they deserved from bad choices – same thing with riots, they happened far less when people didn’t tolerate it and it was common knowledge what the response would be.

In store activation of your power screwdriver\drill etc… wtf?
    This isn’t good, how long till you can’t even buy the tools you subscribe to them and they self-deactivate till you return to the store to re-auth them. God I really hate “technology” sometimes, oh and we’re all collectively paying for this little added cost to the product to boot.

The crims will I promise you work around this, the average consumer probably not so much if it goes on the fritz. kill switches in basic power tools…. I’ve seen it all now. sigh.

61. 2021 August 4 2:28 am
    PresidentRonaldPaul permalink

The crypto regulation in this infrastructure bill is so dumb. They just threw it in the 2700 page bill that no one reads or understands. And we have a bunch of 80 year old men who dont know how to use fax machines yet but they want to regulate crypto.

It would be like if they wanted to regulate the internet in the early 90’s where the people have to buy a broadcasting license if you want to make a website.

62. 2021 August 4 5:08 am
    JimNorCal permalink

61, most legislators only know that crypto punks (well, some of them), have money.
    The threat to legislate is mostly a strong request for a bribe.

63. 2021 August 4 5:22 am

62 – Bingo. There is a comedy in the 90’s with E.Murphy, The distinguished gentlemen, there is a scene that is pretty real (actually most the movie is small scale to what really goes on). But this scene highlights what Jim talking about, they rarely know or care which side, usually just who’s gonna pay them more.
    Start it at 1m:45sec (apparently I can’t embed and include timestart code wtf youtube?)

64. 2021 August 4 7:09 pm
    JimNorCal permalink

OMG, KH, that’s hysterical.